Bosco Seeks $100,000 From i.e. in Libel Suit

Magazine Tied Bosco To Peddling Drugs, Obscene Movies

By Christopher Jencks

Elio A. Bosco has filed a $100,000 libel suit against i.e. The Cambridge Review, editors of the magazine revealed last night. Bosco objected to the passage in which i.e. claimed that he was "selling drugs around the square" and "distributing pornographic movies to the clubs."

The i.e. editors will plead the truth of their assertion if and when the case comes to trial, which will certainly not be this year. Such cases have been known to take three years to come to trial because of court congestion.

i.e. editors would say nothing about how they planned to prove their charges. Several undergraduates have, however, offered to document the charge that Bosco had acted as an agent for companies selling pornographic movies to club members. The defense is seeking further depositions to substantiate both charges.

Charges Made Last Year

Although i.e. made its charges last May, when it published its controversial issue on Harvard, the reference to Bosco was only incidental to a general attack on Harvard apathy. Speaking of the CRIMSON, i.e. wrote, "the dream of every CRIMSON editor or candidate is to break the story of E. A. Bosco selling drugs around the Square or distributing pornographic movies to the clubs."

Bosco did not actually file suit in Middlesex County Court until April 1 of this year, six months after the magazine had folded.

Peter Davis '57 is the only i.e. editor named in the suit, since he is the only one of the four editors who is still a resident of Massachusetts. Two others, John A. Pope '56 and Leo Raditsa '56, graduated from the College last June. The fourth, Angus Fletcher, was a graduate student here last year.

Bosco lives with his mother, Edith Bosco, in a frame house at 139 Eutaw street, in East Boston.