Repetto Faces Only 30 Batters As Crimson Defeats Brown, 7-1

By James S. Eilberg

Behind the three-hit pitching of Dom Repetto, Harvard helped itself to its sixth straight win yesterday, defeating a hapless Brown nine, 7 to 1.

While Bruin pitcher Don Nelson and his erring mates could do nothing right, Repetto breezed nonchalantly along, facing only thirty batters behind an air-tight defense. Nelson yielded five hits, eight walks and two wild pitches, the Brown catcher permitted seven stolen bases and the rest of the Bruins joined the fiasco with five miscues.

But, Repetto, after allowing a base on balls in the first, sent the next sixteen Bruins down in order. Brown got its first hit in the seventh, a slow dribbler down the first base line which skidded by Bergantino when he slipped on the wet infield grass. The next batter looped a double to center to scone the lone Brown run. Repetto gave up one more hit in the enghth, and that was all for the Bruins.

Repetto, who gave up just two walks while striking out five, was valuably assisted by his teammates, who also could do no wrong. Shortstop Bob Hastings several times made stops deep in the hole and rifled perfect pegs to first to nip Bruin runners. And leftfielder John Getch made two fine catches in the seventh inning to stem the only Brown rally. Although the Crimson was not scintillating at the plate, its hits were timely. They won the game early, scoring four times in the third after two were out.

Bergantino led off the third with the first of his three walks. After Cleary popped out, Bergantino stole second. Simourian grounded out, but Hastings worked Nelson for a pass. Then, Matt Botsford delivered the big blast of the day, unloading a long triple to center to score both Bergantino and Hastings. With Getch at the plate, Botsford romped home on a wild pitch. Getch then singled, stole second and came home with the fourth run on Stahura's solid double to center.

The remaining Crimson runs were brightly gift-wrapped. The first was picked up in the fourth without a hit. After Bergantino walked, Cleary's routine grounder was thrown away by the Bruin second baseman, Bergantino winding up on third. Simourian sent Bergantino home with a sacrifice fly.

In the seventh, Getch reached on an error, went to third on Stahura's single and score while Haughey grounded out.

After the game, Harvard left immediately for West Point, where it meets the Cadets today. Bob McGinnis will be seeking his fourth win against an Army team which has lost to both Yale and Columbia.