'Speckled Band' Meets at Signet To Honor Sherlock Holmes' Work

By Walter E. Wilson

Promptly at six o'clock last evening the second chapter of the famed Baker Street Irregulars held a quiet meeting at the Signet Society. The group, consisting mostly of professors, doctors, mystery writers and lawyers is named the Speckled Band, from one of Conan Doyle's stories. It meets annually to honor the world's greatest detective, Sherlock Holmes.

When asked why they keep the memory of Holmes alive year after year, Douglas Lawson, Keeper of the Band, replied, "Memory! Memory, my dear fellow: the great man is still very much alive, aged 103, and raising bees in Sussex."

Chapters of the parent group, the Baker Street Irregulars, or as it is known to members, the B.S.I., range through 18 states, and countries throughout the world. These chapters recognize Holmes, and Dr. Watson, his Boswell, but refuse to acknowledge Conan Doyle, whom they regard as merely the publisher's agent.

Formed in 1940 by five men, the Speckled Band has grown to a present membership of 60, including non-resident honorary members.

On the roster appear such well known names as Rudolph Elie, Boston Herald columnist, William Jackson, librarian of Houghton, and Professor Norbert Weiner of M.I.T. Honorary members include mystery writer Rex Stout, and the late Christopher Morley.