Crimson Lacrosse Squad Drops 5, Ties 1 on Trip

Outclassed by several of the nation's top lacrosse teams, the varsity squad dropped four games and tied one during its annual southern trip last week.

Coach Bruce Munro's team opened its season Monday, tying Stevens Institute at Hoboken, 7 to 7; then was defeated in quick succesion by four of the top ten teams in the country. Rutgers University beat the Crimson, 18 to 9; Maryland University, 16 to 1; the University of Baltimore, 17 to 7; and the U.S. Naval Academy, 14 to 1.

Handicapped by a lack of depth and experience, the varsity defense was the lone bright spot of the tour. Tom Crump, Jim Herscot, and John Baldwin turned in top defensive performances. Dick MacKinnon, varsity goalie, also made an impressive showing.

The Crimson came from behind in the last minute of play Monday to tie Stevens Institute, 7 to 7. The contest, which was close all the way, continued through a double overtime.

On Tuesday the varsity faced its toughest competition, as it bowed to Rutgers, 18 to 9. Jack Daut, one of the nation's top lacrosse players, paced the Rutgers attack.

The varsity played on even terms with the University of Maryland during the first ten minutes of Wednesday's game. but the Terapins' depth overwhelmed the Crimson, 16 to 1.

Baltimore defeated the Crimson, 17-7, on a rain-drenched field Thursday. A five point spurt midway through the first period gave Baltimore a lead which the varsity could never overcome.

The Crimson was outclassed by Navy in its final game on Friday, 14 to 1.

The varsity is favored Saturday when it meets the Boston Lacrosse Club.