Bullitt Appointed Master Of Proposed 8th House

Will Aid in Planning

By George H. Watson

Dean Bundy announced yesterday that John M. Bullitt '43, associate professor of English, will be Master of the University's eighth House when it opens to residents in the fall of 1959.

Bundy said that the appointment at this time will enable Bullitt to take part in the planning and organization of the House and to follow it through construction.

Bullitt stated last night that he would work closely with Bundy, the University's architects and planning officials in making optimum use of the $5 million allocated for the House. He emphasized, however, that the strength of a House is more dependent on the quality of its staff than on pure physical considerations.

Although Bullitt stressed the importance of House tutors and associates, he said he did not feel the new House would suffer any disadvantage because of the budget-directed retreat from traditional Georgian architecture.

"I think this House will start out with the most tremendous possibilities and challenges," Bullitt said. He pointed out that the new unit would profit from the combined experiences of existing Houses and could be a "distillation of the best in the system."

He also attached special importance to plans for a study-bedroom for every member of the 350-student residence. According to present thinking, four such study-bedrooms would be grouped around a common living room and bath.

Bullitt, at present an Associate of Adams House, was a member of Dunster House as an undergraduate. While in college, he won the Bowdoin Prize and the Detur, as well as being Massachusetts State and New England amateur boxing champion.

He received his A.B. degree magna cum laude in 1943, and after service with the Army in World War II, returned to the University for his master's in 1948 and his doctorate in 1950.

A specialist in 18th-century literature, Bullitt is the author of Jonathan Swift and the Anatomy of Satire, published in 1953, and is now working on a study of Henry Fielding and a history of English satire.

He was made an Associate Professor in 1956.