Tennis Varsity Wins, 8-1

The University of North Carolina turned out to be a quite different team than had been expected, especially at the first three singles positions, where the Crimson tennis team ran into some of the strongest opposition of the year.

The final score of the match was 8 to 1, and the outcome was never in doubt because of UNC's weakness at the bottom singles position and in the doubles teams. The Crimson won all the doubles by easy, 2-0 scores and took the bottom two singles in equally handy fashion.

At first singles, Dale Junta dropped the first set to Steve Bank (right), but came back strong in the next two sets to pull out a 3-6, 6-0, 6-3 victory. Junta played well in the last two sets, especially in the 6-0 victory, when he completely outgunned his opponent.

Harvard's Steve Gottlieb was pressed a bit harder than usual by UNC's Geoff Black at second singles. However, Gottlieb's game, though slightly bothered by the unusually strong winds which buffeted the Soldiers Field courts all afternoon was more than enough to take care of his opponent in straight sets.

At third singles, Larry Sears played one of the strangest matches of the season against UNC's Frank Livingston, losing in the longest match of the day, 9-7, 2-6, 7-5. It was Sears' first loss of the year.

Livingston refused to come to the net and played a defensive, "pat-ball" game for the most part. Sears was brought to playing in the North Carolina player's style, and this ultimately led to his defeat. Sears led 5 to 2 in the final set only to drop the next five straight games, and the match.

Ben Heckscher's opponent Ray Newsome twisted his ankle during the match, and after twenty minutes of ankle-taping, was unable to keep up with Heckscher in the final set, losing 3-6, 6-1, 6-1.

At fifth and sixth singles, Cal Place and Phil Mills had a much easier time of it than their teammates in the top four positions. Place defeated Fritz Van Winkle, 6-2, 6-0, and Mill downed Tom McIver, 6-4, 6-0 to give the Crimson five of the six singles matches.

In the doubles, Junta and Sears disposed of Bank and Newsome, 6-2, 6-1; Heckscher and place won from Black and Livingstone, 6-2, 6-3; and Gottlieb and Ian Gianetti defeated Van Winkle and McIver, 6-3, 6-3.

This afternoon the varsity travels to Williamstown to set its undefeated record of fourteen wins and no loss on the line against the perennially strong Williams College team.