'Cliffe Dormitory Rates To Increase $30 in Fall

By Martha E. Miller

Room and board rates at Radcliffe will rise $30 for the 1957-58 school year, President Wilbur K. Jordan announced yesterday.

Jordan explained that the increase refers to the board, rather than the room portion of the dormitory rates, and is principally due to increase in salaries of employees responsible for food preparation.

"In the last five years, food costs have risen not substantially, but gradually," Jordan said. "Far more important, wages and salaries have risen considerably," he added.

The increases, approved by the governing board of the college on Monday, will bring the yearly costs of single rooms to $1080 instead of the current $1050. Large double rooms will cost $1000 a year instead of $970, and economy double rooms will be $890 rather than $860.

Students who live in off-campus houses will pay room and board increases proportional to the number of meals a day that they eat in the dormitories.

This is the second consecutive year that Annex students have faced increases in dormitory rates. A year ago, the governing board augmented room rates by $25 to $30 over the previous year. At that time Steward Stearns, business manager of the college, explained that a rise in the cost of dormitory operations necessitated the added charge.