Lightweight Crew Will Meet Yale, Princeton in Goldthwait Cup Race

By Bryce E. Nelson

The three undefeated lightweight crews in the East will meet tomorrow afternoon when Yale, Princeton, and the Crimson will row for the Goldthwait Cup at 6 p.m. on the Charles River.

The winner of this race is usually regarded as the logical favorite to go to the Henley regatta in July, depending on the result of the sprints next week. Princeton, last year's winner of the Thames Challenge Cup at Henley, is rated a slight favorite this afternoon, but any prediction concerning such a race would be no more than pure guess work.

There is the possibility that unfavorable weather may postpone this race until Sunday. Crimson coach Joe Brown commented on this factor: "If we have the same high winds that we have had for the past two weeks, I hope we can postpone the race, as this sort of weather often ruins a race rowed over the Henley distance."

The Crimson varsity boat, while it has not faced the same caliber of competition as has Princeton, has amassed some very impressive times in the first three weeks of the season. Against Dartmouth, this boat rowed a record breaking 6:29 for the Henley distance, but the time could not be officially recognized, as the race was not started from stakeboats. Brown's rough estimates has the Crimson a bare two seconds behind the Tigers on the basis of comparative times.