Crimson Tennis Team Favored Over Yale in Year's Last Match

Rain Threatens Postponement

Yale comes to town this afternon, hopefully to play the varsity tennis team in the last match of the year for the Crimson. However, as of 10 p.m. last night it seemed possible that, because of the heavy downpour of rain, the match would be postponed.

If the match is played, the varsity will be a slight favorite, although in the H-Y contests anything can happen. The Crimson's biggest difficulty will be in the middle singles berths, where Yale is rather strong, with captain Ed Meyer, Newell Auger, Mait Jones and Sandy Wiener all very definite threats at third through sixth singles.

At first and second singles both Dale Junta and Steve Gottlieb appear to have an edge over Eli sophomore Tom Freiberg and veteran Sam Schoonmaker. In the bottom positions, it is difficult to predict anything about the outcome of the matches, since neither team plays more than two or three matches with ten singles and five doubles, and therefore none of these players has been much action.

In the doubles Yale has shown well this season and should be expected to given a good account of themselves in that category today. The return of Tom Freiberg after being laid off for most of the season leaves the precise doubles lineup uncertain, but it seems likely that Meyer and Schoonmaker will hold down the first position, followed by Auger and possibly Freiberg at second doubles and Jones and Wiener in the third position.

The doubles showed very well in Yale's 8-1 loss to Presbyterian, as Meyer and Schoonmaker won their match in three sets, and the other two teams lost very close three-set affairs.

The Crimson will use its regular team of Junta, Gottlieb, Larry Sears, Ben Heckscher, Cal Place and Phil Mills at the top six singles positions, followed by captain Ian Gianetti, Al Goldman, Ned Weld and Jim Cameron at the bottom four singles.

This will be the varsity's final match of the year, with only the New England Intercollegiates remaining to round out the season this weekend. The Crimson has compiled an 18-1 record thus far, and if it wins today it will have compiled a .950 percentage record on the season, which is equal or superior to that of any team in the East.

However, since the varsity lost its only match to Princeton and since Princeton bowed only to Presbyterian, which is not in any official league, the Tigers will be considered undefeated in league play and will thus walk off with all three major titles.