Police Seize Student For Drug Charge

Senior Reportedly Possessed Peyote

Cambridge police have arraigned a University senior on charges of possession of a Mexican drug, peyote, the Boston Daily Record reported last night.

A box of the drug was reportedly found in the South End apartment of a high school friend, who is now serving a jail sentence for auto theft. The box, shipped from a mail order house, contained the name and address of the Harvard student, who was then picked up by police.

The story said that the senior pleaded not guilty to charges of possession of the drug, and was given a continuance after he said that he was about to take his final exams. The CRIMSON was unable to confirm the Record report last night.

Although there was conjecture last week that the Klemm twins, who battled police in Leverett House, may have been using peyote, police authorities have not directly linked the twins' case to that of the student implicated last night.

The student reportedly told police that he bought the drug at the request of his friend, who said he didn't have a permanent address at the time.

The Record said that investigations of the Cambridge police have indicated that a growing number of Harvard students have been "experimenting" with the drug, which usually greatly accentuates the taker's sense perceptions.

The drug is not habit-forming, and Federal law does not prevent its shipment, but Massachusetts outlaws it as a harmful drug.