Radcliffe Dormitory Victimized By Midnight 'Bombing' Threats

Residents of a Radcliffe off-campus dormitory were slightly inconvenienced early yesterday by a "crank" who telephoned two warnings about a bomb he claimed to have planted in Graycroft Hall, 1590 Mass. Ave.

At 12:15 a.m. the first phone call to the dormitory warned that a bomb would go off in half-an-hour, but the girl who received the call brushed it off as a joke. Fifteen minutes later the same person called again, and House president Julie Farrelly '57, answered.

"You had better believe me," the voice said. "There's a bomb planted under Graycroft and it will go off in 15 minutes. You had better evacuate."

Miss Farrelly described the voice as "eerie" and "vaguely muffled or hollow." After this second call she notified Dean Lacey, who arrived with Cambridge police 10 minutes later.

The police directed that all girls be awakened and brought downstairs, but did not require a complete evacuation. At least one room was by-passed in the clearing process.

Then the police, Dean Lacey, and three girls engaged in a half hour exhaustive search for the supposed bomb. All their effort was for naught, as nothing suspicious was turned up. By this time, the bomb was supposed to have gone off.

The police termed the entire affair a hoax, and allowed these of the girls that were awake to go back to sleep.

No concerted effort will be made by the police to track down the bomber.