Crimson Tennis Squad Defeats Yale for Nineteenth Win of Year

Varsity Tops Elis, 9-6

By Frederick W. Byron jr.

If one may term a season successful when it is completed by a win over Yale, then yesterday the varsity tennis team finished a very successful season. The Crimson defeated the Elis, 9 to 6, in Big Three reckoning and 6 to 3 in Ivy and Eastern Intercollegiate statistics. The win gave the varsity a 19-1 season's record.

Perhaps the outstanding performance of the day was turned in by Dale Junta in the top singles position. He defeated Yale's highly touted sophomore Tom Frieberg, 6-3, 6-2 and then combined with Larry Sears to capture the first doubles by an identical score.

The match was quite a bit closer than the score would indicate. The Crimson jumped off to a quick 7-3 and 4-2 lead, needing only one match to sew up the meet. But Yale pressed slowly forward and pulled to a 7-5 and 4-3 position with three matches being played, and it was not until Frieberg, playing third doubles, netted a return of Steve Gottlieb's service that the match was decided for Harvard, Gottlieb and Ian Gianetti winning 6-3, 4-6, 7-5.

At second singles Gottlieb was far off his game, bowing to Jon Clark 8-6, 6-0. The Crimson player had considerable difficulty controlling his usually brilliant passing shots, and his game completely fell apart in the final set. At third singles Larry Sears won a very impressive victory over Eli Sam Schoonmaker, 7-5, 6-0. Last year, Schoonmaker defeated Harvard number three man Ham Gravem in two sets.

At fourth singles Ben Heckscher ran into steady Ed Bennett and, after three hours of play, bowed to the Yale man, 8-6, 6-8, 6-3. But Heckscher, one of the finest competitors ever to play for Harvard, came back after a very brief rest to team up with Cal Place for the varsity's final win of the day at second doubles, 6-2, 6-1, 6-4.

At fifth singles Place had taken one of the biggest matches of the day, defeating Eli captain Ed Meyer, 1-6, 6-2, 6-4. Last year, Meyer held down the number two spot for Yale, and against Harvard defeated Brooks Harris, captain of the 1956 Crimson team.

At sixth singles, Phil Mills lost to Newell Auger 8-10, 6-3, 6-0. He overcame a 5-0 deficit to win the first set. The next three singles were all two-set Harvard victories, with Gianetti, Al Goldman, and Ned Weld doing the winning for the Crimson. At tenth singles, Jim Cameron dropped a long, three-setter to Yale's Pete Cox, 6-4, 2-6, 6-3.

This morning, the varsity, represented by Junta, Sears, Gottlieb, and Mills will defend its New England Intercollegiate Championships at Trinity College. Last year, Junta won the individual crown, and Harvard took the team title.

Junta will be seeded first in the singles today, and he and Sears will have the top doubles seed