Record Number Of Firms Contact Placement Office

A record number of companies conducted interviews at the Office of Student Placement during 1956-57, Thomas E. Crooks '49, director, reported yesterday.

He attributed the expansion of recruiting activity to increasing competition among large employers rather than to a larger number of job openings for 1957 graduates. Nearly 300 companies conducted 3,563 interviews during the past year.

Crooks predicted an even greater increase in the number of interviews next year. He noted that many more companies had scheduled visits to the Office than at this time last year.

He added that, although "no one was turned away," the Office had often had difficulty in providing space for interviewers this season. He said that the Office's five interview rooms might prove inadequate next year.

Two-thirds of the companies conducted interviews for science concentrators only, but Crooks commented that the demand for liberal arts graduates had grown steadily during the past few years.

Interviews for prospective summer employees also increased greatly during the year. Although only six companies sought just vacation replacements, most interviewers met summer job candidates after they had completed their scheduled interviews.