University, School Systems Plan Cooperative Project in Education

To Aid in Policy-Making

The Graduate School of Education and the school systems of Concord, Lexington, and Newton have announced a program designed to aid the schools in the planning and execution of new educational policies.

A board, including the superintendents of the three school systems and members of the University faculty, has indicated that the chief concerns of the project will be "the training, organization, and allocation of personnel."

It is hoped that the program will encourage closer relations between public school systems and private universities throughout the country and strengthen school policies and programs.

Financed by a $200,000 grant from the Fund for the Advancement of Education, the project will be headed by Matthew Page Gaffney, Roy Larsen Professor of Education, and Joseph J. Young, executive officer of the School of Education staff.

The administrative board has expressed hope that its proposals will lead to "actual programs of experiment and demonstration." The group declared that "relations between the University and the school systems must be established which are analogous to those which have long been in effect between medical schools and teaching and research hospitals."

They noted that both representatives of the school systems and the University will have the opportunity to exercise initiative in suggesting proposals for study and for designing research to test their soundness.