Two Escaped Hungarians, Active In Revolt, to Enter Class of '61

More Expected in Fall

Two refugees from the Hungarian revolution will enter the freshman class in the fall. Several more will probably be accepted over the summer, David D. Henry, Director of Admissions, disclosed yesterday.

One of the Hungarians, who has not yet been formally admitted, will enter the Class of '61 on a scholarship raised this year by the Hungarian Freedom Council. He is Julius Varallyay, formerly a civil engineering student at the University of Budapest, and now a resident of Cambridge. He will probably be admitted as a freshman on advanced placement living in the Yard.

The second new entrant is Stephen Szilard, who received the scholarship offered yearly by the Harvard Club of Washington. Szilard, who, according to Henry, "snowed" the Washington organization, participated actively in the November revolution, and is reported to have blown up six tanks.

Varallyay also participated in the abortive revolt, helping to organize the citizenry, and later aiding in the fighting against the Russians. He escaped across the border on Nov. 14, after the head of his dormitory, who had been captured and later released, telephoned to his charges, advising them to leave the country.

He was interviewed by the faculty committee from Kirkland House which chose the two sophomores who will enter that House in the fall. Varallyay was "extremely pleased" to learn of his acceptance by the committee, adding that "I would like to learn best of all; this is my obligation."