A Report from Yale

15 Seniors Discuss Academic Indifference

Yale's Aurelian Honor Society--an organization of 15 seniors--recently issued a 13-page report entitled "Academic Indifference at Yale." As the title indicates, the report criticizes the University. It also, however, offers some interesting--and provocative---solutions to the problems it poses.

The introduction to the report notes: "It is hardly necessary to document the evidence for the lack of real interest in the intellectual life of the University on the part of all too many students; the swarm that descends on "gut" courses, the hundreds whose memorization of the student outline is the only discipline their minds get in a course, and the multitude who simply take notes and disgorge the lectures, duly organized, on hour tests and examinations testify to the apathy of the average Yale student towards his studies. The theme is repeated by faculty and students alike; many have agreed that this is the most pressing and most important problem facing Yale today."

Following this introduction, the Society makes its suggestions for improving the situation. Here are some of the more interesting ones:

Freshman Year

"... In the long run 'we strongly recommend that the freshman no longer reside together on the Old Campus, but be integrated into the colleges. This does not mean the abolition of Freshman Year as an academic unit... The intellectual and social benefits received by the freshmen would more than compensate for the loss of the traditional "class spirit" supposedly generated by living together on the Old Campus, but actually growing much later...

Curriculum

"... We recommend 1) That the administration use all resources available to increase the number of seminars open to undergraduates... we would hope that in the long run the Yale man would spend the majority of his class hours in seminars...

"2) That those involved in the standard major be given more scope for creative work by the institution of a research course. In the fall term of his senior year each student in the standard major would be required to take such a course, in which he would write a paper of reasonable length related to his major field of study...

"5) That, where possible, hour examinations should be replaced by papers of some length...

"6) That course time and extracurricular activity facilities be utilized to produce non-classroom activities for credit. For example, students might be given credit in a History of Art course for organizing an exhibition in the Art Gallery, or in a History of Music course for presenting a program of music with criticism over WYBC...

Marking

"... We recommend 1) That numerical marks be given only at the end of term, and that all marks during the term itself be replaced with comments on the individual's work...

"2) That academic standards be stiffened. If each new year marks the entrance of 'Yale's brightest class ever,' then a corresponding rise in standards is fair...

Extracurricular Activities De-Emphasis

"Extracurricular activities have hindered academic interest due to the concept of the successful Yale man. This is a concept where the good student is sub-ordinated to a perverted notion of the 'well-rounded' person. If there is to be a revival of academic interest at Yale, then there will have to be a de-emphasis in the whole sphere of extracurricular activities. The recent creation of the Ivy League is a significant step in preventing undue emphasis on athletics..."

The remainder of the report lists suggestions for de-emphasizing extracurricular activities. These include limiting competitions to ten hours a week and establishing subject clubs for every major department or departmental group.