Golfers Upset B.C.

The Crimson golfers scored a 5 to 2 upset victory over Boston College yesterday, but dropped their match to Brown, 4-3, after an unfortunate mix-up with the Bruin team. The Triangulars were held at Providence.

Several of the golfers had Generals yesterday, and Crimson captain Lou Klein phoned the Brown Director of Athletics to arrange a postponement of the match until 2:45 p.m. When the team arrived at the Brown course shortly before 3:00, they found that the match had already begun.

Bruin sophomore Jerry Contini refused to extend his match with Klein beyond ten holes. Contini took the match, 5 and 4, despite vigorous protests from the Crimson squad and coach Cooney Weiland. Jim Bailey, however, took his match, after his Bruin opponent agreed to play the full 18 holes.

Wheeling Defeats Amateur Champ

The big upset of the afternoon came when lead-off man Tom Wheeling took his match from B.C.'s Charley Volpone, 2 and 1. Volpone is the Massachusetts State Amateur Golf Champion. Wheeling shot a few out of bounds, but played an excellent game.

Wheeling will lead again tomorrow, when the golfers meet Wesleyan and M.I.T., at the Charles River Golf Course.