Track, Baseball, Rugby Varsities Each Register Victories

Crimson Ruggers Whip Yale, 19-0, To Win Eastern League Crown

Two years ago the Crimson rugby team was leading Yale 8 to 0 at half time, but eventually lost 11 to 8. Last Saturday the Crimson also ran up an 8-0 margin in the first half, but this time scored the 11 second-half points also, to trounce the Elis 19 to 0 and complete a perfect Eastern League season.

In its six League games this spring the Crimson has totalled five wins and a forfeit, outscoring the opposition by 87 points to 14, for its first championship since 1951.

In Saturday's match Yale was out-classed in all departments. The Crimson scored four tries and a penalty kick, while Yale's threats consisted of an occasional abortive individual breakthrough.

Ron Eikenberry opened the scoring after ten minutes, taking a cross-kick from center Joe Conzelman to go over for a try in the corner. Jim Joslin just missed the difficult kick and the score stood at 3 to 0. Shortly before the half Alan Waddell broke through from ten yards out, and this time Joslin added the two extra points to raise the lead to eight points.

The next Crimson try was disallowed for offsides, but five minutes later John Chalsty made good use of a dropped Yale pass to make it 11 to 0, then Joslin converted an easy penalty kick from an Eliscrum infringement in front of the posts, giving the Crimson a 14 to 0 lead.

After winger Mike Reynal had been stopped just short of the line, fullback Jim Damis came up to take a pass from Hal Churchill for the final Crimson try. Joslin's kick again was good.

This match was certainly the best of the season for the Crimson backs. Their defense was as solid as usual, and their passing and running made them dangerous every time they got the ball.