Eisenhower Will Address Nation To Get Support for New Budget; House Cuts School Appropriation

By The ASSOCIATED Press

WASHINGTON, May 8--President Eisenhower said today he plans to take directly to the American people, in one or two radio-TV addresses, his case for adopting his $71,800,000,000 budget pretty much as it stands.

Eisenhower told a news conference there is no hope for a real slash in government spending unless a very great easing of world tensions makes it possible to cut the present "stupendous" expenditures for defense.

The President at the same time voiced complete agreement with Secretary of the Treasury Humphrey, who said last January that unless the "terrific tax take" is reduced this country will have "a depression that will curl your hair."

Eisenhower said he and Humphrey "jointly prepared a letter" on which the Treasury head's depression views were based.

The chief executive put sharp emphasis on this statement: "The monetary policy of this government is mine, and no one underneath me is going to change my policy."

Committee Curtails School Bill

WASHINGTON, May 8--The House Education Committee voted overwhelmingly today to whack half a billion dollars from the school construction bill, in hopes of getting the program through an economy-minded Congress

The committee voted 23-3 to authorize federal outlays of 1 1/2 billion dollars during the next five years, instead of the two billion originally called for by the Democratic sponsored measure. A final committee vote on the entire bill was scheduled for tomorrow.

Rep. McConnell (Pa.) asked the committee to whittle down the cost of the aid package, saying it would help the measure's chances of passage.

The action also was a bid to win complete support for the measure from President Eisenhower, who had originally called for $1,300,000,000 in construction aid.

Possible Postal Cuts Planned

WASHINGTON, May 8--Postmaster General Summerfield told Congress today he will again order cuts in postal service, effective July 1, unless the law-makers vote him an extra 70 to 90 million dollars for fiscal 1958.

Summerfield sounded this warning to a Senate Appropriations Committee, which then went into closed session and voted to restore 32 million dollars of the 58 million cut by the House from the Post Office Department's 1958 budget.

The postmaster general had said the full 58 million would have to be restored, and that still another 70 to 90 million would be needed.

Summerfield said a "phenomenal" increase in mail volume has made it necessary to seek more money to maintain full service.

Beck Refuses Challenge

WASHINGTON, May 8--Dave Beck today refused a challenge to "blow the lid right off the Senate," if he could, by revealing how his Teamster Union funds were spent.

Instead the chunky Teamsters boss again took the Fifth Amendment before the Senate Rackets Committee. He even declined to say whether he knows his own son, Dave Beck, Jr.