Smith President to Speak At' Cliffe Commencement

343 Graduate Today

Benjamin F. Wright, President of Smith College, will deliver the principal address at Radcliffe's 75th Commencement, which will begin this morning at 11 a.m. in Sanders Theatre. Wright will speak on the needs of American universities. John C. MacLeod of the First Prebyterian Church of Newburyport, will be Commencement Chaplain.

The ceremonies will be preceded by the traditional procession of degree candidates, who this year number 343. The degrees will be presented by Radcliffe president Wilbur K. Jordan. Among those receiving degrees are 208 seniors, receiving the A.B. degree, 61 masters of arts, one master of sciences, 52 masters of arts in teaching, and 21 doctors of philosophy. Added to the number of masters of arts degrees awarded at midyears, Radcliffe will gave granted a total of 76 A.M.'s this year, the largest ever given in a single year.

Four of the seniors will be graduated summa cum laude: Ruth Gruhn of Cornwall-on-Hudson, N.Y.; Deirdre Hubbard of New York City; Svetlanan Leontief of Cambridge; and Anne Ruggles of Dallas, Tex.

Thirteen members of the class were elected to the Massachusetts Iota Chapter of Phi Beta Kappa, it was announced today. New members are Grace O. Adkins of South Norwalk, Conn.; Mari Jane DeCosta of Highland Park, III.; Anna Fellner of New Haven, Conn.; Faith Howard of Westmount, Quebec; and Ellen Franzen, Deirdre Hubbard, and Sheila LaFarge, all of New York City. Also Amy Mims, of Chicago, III.; Carol S. Powers of Swampscott, Mass.; Virginia Rhinelander of Stanford, Calif.; Sallyann A. Sack of Cleveland, Ohio; and Judith Schultz of Huntington Valley, Penn.