Goheen, Hammarskjold, Herter Get Degrees As Part of Annual Commencement Ceremonies

Barbara Ward and Erwin Panofsky To Address Alumni in Afternoon

President Pusey conferred honorary degrees this morning on U.N. Secretary-General Dag H.A.C. Hammarskjold and Christian A. Herter '15, U. S. Undersecretary of State.

Each was awarded a Doctor of Laws as were Robert F. Goheen, Princeton president-elect, Arthur L. Goodhart, Master of University College, Oxford, and Devereux C. Josephs '15, Chairman of the President's Committee on Education Beyond the High School.

The Doctor of Science went to Edwin H. Land '30, inventor of the Land camera, Jan H. Oort, Director of the Observatory of Leiden, and Robert B. Woodward, Morris Loeb Professor of Chemistry, known for synthesizing quinine and other substances.

Honorary Doctor of Letters degrees were conferred on Barbara Ward Jackson, British economist, and Civil War historian Bruce Catton.

The Doctor of Arts went to Erwin Panofsky, historian of art, and to Henry Shepley, of Shepley, Bulfinch, Richardson and Abbott, the University architects.

Honorary Master of Arts degrees were conferred on Henry H. Callard, headmaster of Gilman School in Baltimore, and on Omer Carmichael, Louisville superintendent of Schools, who organized that city's successful desegregation program.

Lady Jackson and Panofsky will deliver the major addresses at this afternoon's meeting of the Harvard Alumni Association. Pusey, Massachusetts Governor Foster Furcolo, and Alumni President George Whitney '07 will also speak.

The meeting will begin at 1:45 p.m., with a parade of Alumni before Widener. Whitney will preside and announce the results of elections for Alumni Association directors, the Board of Overseers, and the Harvard Fund Council.

Dr. W. Barry Wood, Jr. '32, will direct the parade and present '32's Class Gift.

As last year, twelve degrees were awarded. To Goheen, the classics scholar who will succeed Harold W. Dodds as president of Princeton was awarded the LL.D. with the citation: We salute the chosen one of a favorite sister."

Goodhart's citation read: "An American from Oxford whose scholarship has brought new vitality to the history and philosophy of law."

Hammarskjold, U.N. head since 1953 and previously a Swedish diplomat, was cited: "He works courageously to forge and use a practical tool for settling the problems of peoples and nations."

Herter, until last year Governor of the Commonwealth and a former Overseer, was cited: "Quondam classicist whose presence graced these meetings; statesman secure in Harvard's affection."

Josephs, now chairman of the Board of the New York Life Insurance Co., was hailed: "Son of Harvard, devoted public servant, he seeks to underwrite the life of higher learning in America."

Land, president of the American Academy of Arts and Sciences, began development of Arts and Sciences, began development of a means for polarization of light a means for polarization of light as an applied science while a student. His citation read: "Through his ingenuity we can portray ourselves in sixty seconds, through his industry the life of our city becomes more abundant."

Oort was hailed: "A stellar force who has made a neighbor of the galaxies."

Woodward, who has won Harvard's first Ledlie Prize, was cited: "From his brilliant analyses of molecular structure have come man-made ways to simulate nature."

Lady Jackson, who lectured here this spring was cited: "A charming lady whose respected voice and clear mind call the West to freedom through faith."

Catton, a Pulitzer Prize winner, was hailed: "The spell of his words brings to life half-forgotten moments of our nation's agony and heritage."

Panofsky, a professor at the Institute for Advanced Study, was greeted: "Joyous scholar whose perceptive eye helps us to see the creative human spirit in Western culture."

Shepley was cited: "His monument is the good red brick and mortar of his college."

Callard, who holds an Ed.M. from Harvard, was cited: "A fine headmaster whose program and products justify the independent school."

Carmichael was hailed: "Under this able leader an enlightened community moved forward in education.