Harpel Takes Hammer in IC4A, As Landau, Reider Take Thirds

Pete Harpel again proved himself one of the finest hammer throwers in the nation Saturday, as he threw the ball 178 feet, 8 inches to win an 1C4A gold medal at Randall's Island, New York.

In all, the Crimson took a first, two thirds, and a fifth for 12 points and a tie for fourth place in the team championships, behind winner Villanova, Manhattan, and Penn State.

Joel Landau, who had placed second in his heat in the low hurdles Friday, came back to place third to Penn State's Rod Perry and Lou Knight of Manhattan. Landau's clocking of 23.2 Friday will not count as a new college record, since he did not win.

Captain-elect Pete Reider garnered the other Crimson third, as he came in behind Connecticut's Lew Steiglitz and Princeton's Rod Zwirner in the two-mile. Despite his two-week exam period lay-off, Reider's time of 9:17.8 also broke a college record, but will not be considered.

Possibly the biggest surprise of the meet was the showing of Dyke Benjamin, who placed fifth in the two-mile. Villanova's ace Alex Breckenridge had to come from behind to nip Benjamin at the wire for fourth. Benjamin was unofficially timed in 9:21.2, more than ten seconds better than his previous time.

Neither Dick Wharton in the 440 nor Carl Pescosolido in the javelin placed in the top five, after qualifying for the finals Friday.

New England AAU

Tomorrow evening and Thursday a 16-man squad will represent the Crimson in the annual New England AAU Championships at Arlington High School in Arlington.

In tomorrow's events, which begin at 6 p.m., Harpel and John DuMoulin will compete in the hammer; Jim Doty, shotput; freshman Dan DiBona in the high jump; Pat Liles in the broad jump and pole vault; Henry Wente in the broad jump; and Lee Barnes in the 100. Wharton will enter the 440 and Benjamin the three-mile, while freshman Ed Martin will be the lone Crimson entry in the mile.

The following evening, Neil Muncaster will throw the discus, while both French Anderson and Jim Cairns will vie for the 880 title. Dave Rosenthal will run the low hurdles. Cairns, Anderson, Wharton and Mike Robertson will team up for the mile relay.