Approximately 3251 Scheduled To Write in 4000 Bluebooks

By Sidney CLIFFORD Jr.

Between last Monday morning and next Wednesday noon Summer School students will write 3251 three-hour exams in a dozen different rooms scattered throughout the Yard, Stanley Leonard, Summer School Registrar, predictied early this week.

Leonard reported that four thousand bluebooks (32 pages each,) have been purchased to contain this massive conglomeration of fact and fiction. Smaller (16 page) booklets will be supplied to the more prolific writers after the first bluebooks are filled, he added

A "small core" of graduate students assisted by Summer School students will supervise the exams, the Registrar said. For their vigilance, head proctors will be paid $2 an hour and proctors $1.25 an hour.

Exams in the Education Session started Monday morning and ended yesterday noon. Approximately 528 exams were written and all could be accomodated in Memorial Hall, Leonard reported.

Exams in the Arts and Sciences Session begin next Monday and continue through next Wednesday noon, August 21th.

An estimated 2723 exams will be taken at a dozen different locations including air-conditioned Allston Burr Hall.

The largest single exam numerically, with 105 students taking it, will be in History S-134c, Intellectual History of Nineteenth Century Europe, taught by Professor Hans Kohn. While one of the smallest, according to Leonard's figures, is Biophysics S-201 with a lone student scheduled to appear.

Busiest Hour

The busiest exam hour is 2:15 next Monday afternoon when 880, who had 9 o'clock classes during the Summer School, take their exams. While on Monday morning at 9:15 only the 251 unlucky souls, who had 8 o'clock classes, will attempt to fill their blue-books.

Mail Grades

Results will be mailed to the student about two weeks after the end of Summer School, the Registrar announced. In the last ten days his staff have typed 4000 transcripts to which only the grades have to be added.

Leonard emphasized that his office will not release grades to those who come to the office or over the telephone.