Perennials

Tennis and typing are the University's step children. Every yea the plea is made to further the two activities at Harvard, and just a regularly, the plea is lost in the quiet bureaucracy of the HAA and the Faculty of Arts and Sciences.

The HAA agrees that the winds that swoop across the tennis courts are unfortunate, but the organization will not agree to erect any barrier to the rampant winds. It seems only fair that the dauntless group which braves the winds to stand up the courts also be given a chance to play the game. If trees cannot survive in the miserable soil of Soldiers Field, then a wooden fence comparable to those surrounding the better protected football fields would be in order.

The other plea, for typing at exams, nearly made it last year. But true to form, it was buried at the last moment because the request for typing at examinations was made on a permanent rather than experimental basis, with the aid of certain anachronistic elements.

While on the subject of exams, a new gripe might just as well be added. Proctors put the time a student finishes his exam on the cover of those blue books which are handed in early. The rationale is that this gives the instructor an idea as to how difficult his exam was. In reality, the time listings serve to prejudice the grader against the student who finishes early. This is understandable, although unfortunate. If the instructor is so curious as to the time-consuming aspects of his exam, he could visit the examination room some time before the exam closes.

This request, like the previous two, seems logical and fair enough. Hopefully it will not become another perennial.