New Combine Defended In Face of Complaints

No Pressure Exerted To Make Salesmen Join, Stone Says

Gregory B. Stone '58, president of the newly-formed Harvard Student Agencies, Inc., elaborated last night on the proposed objectives and purposes of the organization. Student agents, however, raised even stronger protests against pressuring techniques used by University officials to promote the new enterprise.

Student Council president Larry R. Johnson '58 also entered the controversy by promising a full investigation next week by the Council. Johnson stated that "the present policies and objectives of the corporation could eventually lead to University-controlled monopolies, and the situation needs looking into. We in the Council are, of course, interested in the greatest good for the greatest number of people."

New Objections

Johnson was apparently referring to the newly-stated complaint that although the organization might make it possible for more agents to earn more money, student customers might be forced to pay more for a product than any increased profit to agents would justify.

Stone asserted that any pressure exerted upon agents or prospective agents did not come from officers or directors of the corporation itself. He added that he thought agents may have been offended by well-intentioned University support for the new combine.

Arbitrary Figure

The ten per cent tax on student agencies, according to Stone, is merely an arbitrary figure deemed necessary to underwrite this year's budget. If conditions permit, the tithe might be reduced in future years, Stone added. There is no provision in the by-laws of the corporation for any rebate to agents, however.

University officials on the corporation's board of directors include: John M. Bullitt '43, associate professor of English; Dustin M. Burke '52, director of Student Employment; John U. Monro '34, director of the Financial Aid Office; and Robert B. Watson '37, Acting Dean of Students.