Combined Fields

In a college committed to the precepts of general education, Harvard undergraduates often over-concentrate and over-specialize. This is not to say that any undergraduate completely masters his field during his four-year stay, but many are required to learn sections of their field which seem irrelevant.

The interets of some students can best be served by combining the discipline and contents of two fields of concentration. However, even though concentration in combined fields is permitted by the University and is mentioned under the rules of some departments in the Rules Relating to college Studies, the average student is usually discouraged when he attempts to combine fields. The lower-echelon brass in the departmental offices will quicky announce, "Never heard of such a thing. I'm sure it can't be done." The trusting student usually makes no further effort.

The persistent, though, will find that fields can be combined if the combination is found intellectually justifiable by the participating departments. This possibility should be made known to both professors and students. Publicity should not attract the unambitious intellectual dilletante, since combination requires more than concentration in only one field. Students with special interests, e.g. that of one particular culture, might well find combined concentration much more interesting and valuable. These same students would probably be bored by the irrelevant sections of only one field. However, if the possibility of combination is not publicized, most will assume that it cannot be done.

This lack of publicity and information is mainly noticable in the social sciences, but it holds true for all three major areas. Most universities permit students one or more minors in addition to their major. We do not suggest that this sort of policy be instituted, but students should be informed to do so when their interests warrant such combination.