Cornell Tops Wrestlers at Ithaca, 17-9

Cornell's wrestlers again showed them-selves the strongest in Ivy wrestling after their 17 to 9 win over the Varsity at Ithaca Saturday, for the Crimson had been expected to afford them their only real challenge for the title.

Only Joe Noble at 147, captain Bob Foster at 177, and heavy-weight Ted Robbins could win for the varsity, each taking a decision. Robbins' was the most decisive match of the afternoon, as he scored takedowns in all three periods, added a last period escape and riding time for an 8 to 1 win over Tom Revak.

After a scoreless first period, Noble, on top, gained a near-fall over Jim Carter, but Carter eventually reversed him. Noble then escaped, giving him a 3 to 2 lead. In the final period, he scored a quick reversal, but Carter escaped, then took him down, tying the score at 5-all. Noble escaped to a tight 6 to 5 win decision.

Fillius Troubles Foster

Foster also had his troubles with Cornell's Walker Fillius. He scored six of his points in the second period, with a reversal and two takedowns. Fillius' two second period escpaes, plus a third escape and a last period takedown pulled him within one point, but Foster's point for time advantage gave him a 7 to 5 decision.

None of the other matches was even close. The Big Red began the afternoon with three almost identical 5 to 0 decisions, all gained on first period takedowns and second or third period reversals plus riding time.

Dave Skeels at 123 ran afoul of Dave Auble, while Bob Kozol lost to Carmen Molino at 130, and John Watkins to George Willis at 137.

Cornell captain Dick Vincent proved too experienced for sophomore Orrin Hein at 157. He combined a takedown, two reversals, two predicaments, and riding time for a 9 to 2 decision.