Freehling, Leland Seek to Head New Council

Two candidates for election as president of the Student Council have advocated greater cooperation of the group with the House Committees during the coming year. The Council will elect officers tonight.

Paul E. Freehling '59 of Kirkland House and Marc E. Leland '59 of Adams both felt that closer cooperation between the various committees was essential to give the Council greater voice in student activities.

"Students want to know more about the Council, and should be able to talk with their House representatives about the Council," Freehling stated. He believes that the Council has a definite function in the College, and opposes any referendum on its continued existence.

As chairman of the Student Council Reevaluation Committee, Leland considers a referendum "necessary." However, he stated that the vote should be delayed until fall, when the changes of the Reevaluation Committee have become effective.

"The Student Council can also act as a coordinating body between the different clubs," Leland commented. Referring to its meetings with the Deans, Leland emphasized the ideal position of the Council to act as a coordinator.

Leland noted that membership in the National Student Association was a "good idea," especially for its activities on the international level. He criticized the Council's lack of interest in the organization, and stated that since the Council already belongs to the NSA for the coming year, it should make as much use as possible of the activities of the Association.

To inform students of the functions of the Council, Freehling proposes special bulletin boards in the Houses. In additin, he called for discussion of ideas in the Houses for the improvement of the Council.