Radcliffe President Outlines Problems of Admission in Report

President Wilbur K. Jordan of the Annex, in his Annual Report, has outlined, without suggesting specific solutions, some of the admissions problems facing Radcliffe.

He disclosed that the Committee on Admissions is discussing at present, a number of new proposals designed to deal with "mounting problems within the framework of a college which is supposed to have enrolled about 1,000 students and which next year will probably have very nearly 1,100 undergraduates."

Jordan said that the problems, which concerned the Committee for years, are "heightening to the point of a serious crisis." He pointed to the fact that over the past 13 years, applications have increased six-fold, while the College has increased only 25 per cent.

To this must be added the fact, he said, that "all the relevant objective data we possess suggests that the curve of quality ity of applications has likewise been rising steadily for the past eleven years, very steeply indeed during the past four."

In her Annual Report, Miss Constance E. Ballou, Dean of Admissions, insisted that "Radcliffe is not separating sheep from goats, but very white sheep from the white."