Barghoorn's Condition Reported Improving After Holland Beating

Professor Suffers Eye Injury

The beating of Elso S. Barghoorn, professor of Botany, in Amsterdam late Tuesday night was apparently not so serious as indicated by earlier reports. Dutch police have arrested a 25-year old metal-worker for assault in his attempt to rob Barghoorn.

According to Frank M. Carpenter '26, Chairman of the Department of Biology, Barghoorn was not "bleeding badly from a cut artery and eye," as reported. Carpenter learned in a phone conversation with Barghoorn's mother-in-law that the noted botanist underwent two operations to remove bits of glass from one eye.

Carpenter added that his overall condition was not so serious as might be inferred from newspaper reports. Barghoorn telegrammed that he would be delayed in his return to Cambridge until about the third week in February. Barghoorn was on leave for the fall term and was scheduled to return from Holland today.

Carpenter said that it was too early to tell about the success of the delicate eye operations, and Barghoorn's capacity to teach Biology 208 this spring is in doubt. If he is unable to give the course, Carpenter stated that it would be bracketed this year.

Barghoorn had gone out to mail a letter and was found unconscious by police 3 1/2 hours after he left his hotel in one of Amsterdam's main squares.