Leverett Will Set Up Fund For Contests

Ford Grant Prizes To Encourage Arts

Leverett House will use much of the remainder of the Ford Foundation grant to sponsor House competitions in various forms of creative work and to establish a "creative projects fund," Master John J. Conway announced.

The House will hold two separate competitions, each with two cash prizes. One contest, "for original work in creative writing--poetry, drama, or fiction," offers a first prize of $150 and a second prize of $100.

The program also includes a "graphic arts competition for original work in painting, drawing, or photography," carrying a first prize of $125 and a second prize of $75.

Individual Projects Fund

Another portion of the Ford money will go into an "individual creative projects fund, to provide financial assistance to members of the House who are engaged in creative projects in any field unconnected with course work." This fund will be administered by Lynn H. Loomis, professor of Mathematics and an associate of Leverett, and another faculty member not yet chosen.

Leverett's Ford grant will also finance a series of departmental dinners to be attended by both students and faculty members in individual fields.

House Faculty to Judge

Conway said that judges have not yet been selected for the two competitions, but that they would be faculty members associated with the House, insofar as possible.

The competitions are limited to members of Leverett House, and entries must be submitted to the House Office by March 30. In both contests the judges reserve the right to make no award if in their opinion none of the work submitted deserves one.