Brown Beats Five, 76-70, In Ivy Basketball Opener

By Fred E. Arnold

Brown's basketball team pulled ahead of the Crimson in the final minutes of last night's game to win, 76 to 70. It was the first Ivy League game for both teams.

The Crimson took an early lead, but Brown tied the score. Midway through the first half they pulled ahead by 11 points. The varsity staged a comeback drive in the final period as the lead changed hands several times, but the Crimson was never able to build up a substantial margin. Sparked by co-Captain Joe Tebo, Brown took command near the end of the game.

Sharp-shooting guard Bob Repetto paced the Crimson attack, with nine field goals and 19 points. Bryant Danner, varsity center, followed with 16 points.

Brown scored only one more field goal than the Crimson (27 to 26), but the Bruins completed 85 percent of their free throw attempts (22 out of 26) while the varsity hit on only two-thirds of their tries (18 of 27).

Repetto made two quick set shots to give the Crimson a four-point advantage at the beginning of the game, but a shooting spree by Dave Reed and A1 Poulsen' put Brown in the lead, 14 to 12, at 6:45. Crimson coach Floyd Wilson pulled forwards Dick Woolston and Monk Muncaster and center Bryant Danner from the game, and the Bruins took a sevenpoint lead.

The first string returned three minutes later, and the varsity's balanced attack narrowed the margin to four points. With only one minute remaining in the half, Crimson reserve Mike Donohue completed a long set shot in the final second of the period, to bring the score to 44 to 36.