Adams House to Sponsor Art Competition, Art Lessons, With Ford Foundation Funds

Adams House has designated part of the money from its Ford Foundation grant to sponsor an art contest, John B. Fox '59, chairman of the House Art Committee, said yesterday. The House has already set aside some of its Ford funds for art classes with a professional artist. Money from the University will be used to remodel a studio in the House.

The art contest, open to all Harvard and Radcliffe undergraduates, will be part of a show held from April 24 to May 10. The prizes will total $100, with $50 for the best work and the remainder to be distributed at the discretion of the judges.

The three judges will be: Perry Rathbone, director of the Boston Museum of Fine Arts; James M. Fowle, assistant professor of Fine Arts; and Jack N. Kramer, assistant professor of Fine Arts at Boston University.

Morton Sacks, a Boston artist, has been giving weekly art instruction to interested House members.

The remodeling of the basement of B entry of Adams House is scheduled to begin this week and to continue through the spring. The renovations will provide a new studio for Sacks' group and others.

Ford Foundation funds have also been used to invite William Hawthorne, professor of Engineering of Cambridge University to speak in the House this January.