Dulles Tells Congress Committee 'No Point in New Summit Talks'; McElroy Requests Missile Subs

By The ASSOCIATED Press

WASHINGTON, Jan. 8--Secretary of State Dulles told congressmen emphatically today there is no point now in holding new summit talks with the Russians.

Both Democratic and Republican members of the House Foreign Affairs Committee seemed to agree with Dulles on this point after a three-hour secret briefing, which also touched on most other major international issues.

Committee members gave reporters a partial fill-in on the testimony.

The oft-criticized secretary faced little hostile questioning from members of either party during his appearance before the House group, those who attended the closed session said.

McElroy Recommends Sub Fleet

WASHINGTON, Jan. 8--Immediate development of a submarine fleet capable of firing long-range missiles from beneath the ocean was urged on Congress today by Secretary of Defense McElroy.

He appeared before the House Defense Appropriations subcommittee in supporting President Eisenhower's emergency request for $1,260,000,000 in new defense funds.

The meeting was held behind closed doors but McElroy was reported to have proposed that $296 million of the money be invested in the first three missile-launching subs.

It has been indicated from the Pentagon that the submarines will have atomic engines and will use the Navy's Polaris missile, which has a 1,500-mile range. The Polaris is expected to be ready by 1960 or earlier.

Gavin's Retirement Approved

WASHINGTON, Jan. 8--Wilbur M. Brucker, secretary of the Army, announced today he is "reluctantly approving" Lt. Gen. James M. Gavin's request for retirement from the Army.

Gavin had announced last weekend that he planned to retire because he was in basic disagreement with several Defense Department policies.

He told the Senate subcommittee today the Army's position is deteriorating rapidly and "I can't get anything done" about it.