Spahn and Ford To Pitch Opener Of World Series

By The ASSOCIATED Press

Milwaukee, Sept. 30--Chilly winds, cloudy skies, and hot-coffee weather prevailed today as the Milwaukee Braves and New York Yankees tuned up for tomorrow's opening World Series game.

A sellout crowd of about 47,300 is assured for the first game of this intriguing rematch of last October's frenzied series. The rest of the nation can listen or watch on network NBC television, which pays $3,000,000 for the privilege. The game starts at 2 p.m. EST.

Despite the fact the series was opening in Milwaukee--where it also will end if it goes more than five games--the Yanks were favored at 7 to 5 odds in man-to-man betting. The opener was regarded an even money affair, 6 to 5 and take your pick.

No member of the Yankee party had any "bushville" comments about Milwaukee this year. They still remember those raucous boos and catcalls of a year ago when some misguided soul--nobody knows yet who it was--cast aspersions on the name of the city. Casey Stengel flared up briefly yesterday when the incident was mentioned.

No National League team has beaten the Yanks in two straight series since the 1921-22 New York Giants. In fact, no one National League team has beaten the American two straight since John McGraw's Giants thumped the Yanks.

The Yanks own a proud 17-6 record in 23 previous series and Stengel has won six of eight.

For a change, the Yanks go into the best-of-seven competition without serious injury. In '55 Hank Bauer and Mickey Mantle were crippled and last year Mantle and Bill Skowron were below par although they did see action.

Stengel hinted he might not start Bauer, who he said had a slight wrist injury. However, it was not so much the injury as an attempt to find a place for Elston Howard, his catcher-outfielder.

Although Casey wouldn't give out a definite lineup, he said he was thinking of having Yogi Berra catch Ford.

The Braves were expected to use Felix Mantilla, normally an infielder, in center field in place of Bill Bruton.

If there is any doubt about the weather tomorrow, the burden of making a decision will fall upon Charles Segar, acting commissioner in the absence of the convalescent Ford Frick.