Crimson Teams' Victories Top Ivy Varsities in '57

Yardlings Head League

The Crimson topped the league in overall varsity victories last year, according to percentages computed by the Yale Athletic Association from figures supplied by all members of the Ivy League.

With a record of two hundred and fifteen victories, sixty-eight losses, and five ties, giving them an overall percentage of .676, the Crimson easily outclassed its nearest competitor, Dartmouth, whose percentage was .640. Yale finished the season with a .615 for a third place.

In the '56-'57 season, the Crimson wound up in second position with a .655, and at the end of the previous season had garnered a .606 and third place.

The Crimson freshman teams did equally as well, winning the title last season with a record of one hundred wins, thirty-nine losses, and five ties, for a percentage of .717. Yale freshmen trailed with a .672, and Dartmouth lagged in show position with a .646. In the '56-'57 season Harvard's .698 was topped only by Cornell's .747. The Crimson freshmen also took second place in the '55-'56 season with a .677.

The figures were computed on a basis of all games played, both intra- and extra-league. In Ivy competition, Yale for the first time in three years failed to lead the league and relinquished its usual position to Cornell.

The final 1957-58 Ivy League percentage standings, based on all sports played, are: Harvard, .676; Dartmouth, .640; Yale, .615; Cornell, .577; Princeton, .532; Brown, .482; Penn, .462; Columbia, .403.