Crimson's Varsity Harriers Defeat Bruin Team, 26-30

The varsity cross-country team brought home its third straight victory of the year by edging out Brown 26 to 30 in an extremely close meet yesterday at Franklin Park.

Captain Dyke Benjamin, undefeated for the year, led the field with a time of 25 min., 51 sec. Coach Bill McCurdy called his performance "one of the best races he has ever run."

Bob Lowe of Brown followed Benjamin with a time of 26 min., 35 sec. Jed Fitzgerald of Harvard took third place in 26 min., 53 sec.

The key point in the race came at the two mile mark, when Benjamin, running even with Lowe and Fitzgerald, pulled out in front to dominate the rest of the contest.

The harriers, although lacking in depth, defeated a strong Brown team due to the excellent performance of their top five scorers. McDonald of Brown took fourth place in 27 min., 1 sec. He was closely followed by senior Willie Thompson and Jim Schlaeppi, who placed fifth and sixth respectively.

Because many of the runners were close together throughout the race, the final outcome was not decided until the last 200 yards. Although the score was closer than expected, Coach McCurdy felt that the varsity had turned in its best performance of the year yesterday.

The Yardlings, garnering a winning score of 18 points to 44 for the Brown freshmen, won in a walk-away against their opponents. The Crimson team, which took 10 of the top 12 places, seized a commanding lead at the beginning of the race and maintained it right up to the finish line.

Marc Mullin remained undefeated by breaking his previous record of 14 min., 59 sec. with his winning time of 14 min., 58 sec. He was followed by teammate Bob Knapp. Steurer of Brown placed third.