Soccer Squad Will Face Powerful Amherst Team

Crimson Undermanned

An undermanned varsity soccer team faces another severe test this afternoon when it meets a strong Amherst squad on the Crimson field at noon. Six of varsity coach Bruce Munro's more regular players are sidelined with injuries, and only two of these will be able to play in the game at all.

On top of this, Amherst is reputed to have another strong team, with a wide open attack and a solid defense. The Lord Jeffs, who tied the Crimson 2 to 2 last year, came through with an impressive win this week when they whipped M.I.T. 5 to 1.

Munro was aware of this as he commented today, "Any one of the Little Three teams (Amherst, Wesleyan, and Williams) is usually as strong as any of the Ivy squads." The Lord Jeffs feature what is known in soccer as a "fast break" attack with continual passing between the outsides across the entire breadth of the field. This type of play might easily wear the Crimson down, and with the varsity low in reserves, the fourth quarter could find Munro in real trouble.

The most damaging of the Crimson's numerous injuries is Captain Floyd Moloy's sprained ankle which will keep him out of action for at least another week. Tim Morgan will fill in for him today at right fullback, while Charlie Steele may also see action here as well as at halfback. Lanny Keyes is again expected to bulwark the defense at left fullback.

The halfback line, one of Munro's more pleasant surprises this year, is pretty well intact with Bill Rapp at center half along with Marsh McCall and Steele at the wing halves. Bill Driver, whom Munro has used frequently to spell the halfbacks, has a bad leg and will be unable to play today.

Munro has no less than four injured forwards on his hands: John Mudd, a regular inside who has a fractured bone in his leg, Dick MacIntosh, the regular outside right who also has a bad leg, and Kay Khan and Ken Marmor, who may see some action. Munro will start Roger Tuckerman at center forward, Keith Lowe and John Hedreen at the insides, and Larry Ekpebu and McIntosh at outsides. Fortunately, this is not an Ivy League game, and the Crimson can use all their substitutes rather than abiding by the 16-man rule. Tom Bagnoli, who is developing into one of the varsity's best goalies in recent years, will again start in the nets.