Paul Buck Designated University Professor

Library's Importance Stressed in Giving Office to Director

Paul H. Buck, director of the University Library, will occupy a newly-estabished University Professorship, President Pusey announced yesterday.

This new position, the Carl H. Pforzheimer University Professorship, was established to emphasize the importance of the library and the library director in the University, the announcement said.

Buck, a noted historian, has been director of the University Library since 1955. While holding this position, he has continued teaching and doing research in American history.

The new University Professor received a Pulitzer Prize in 1938 for his "Road to Reunion," a study of the reconstruction days in the South. He was both Provost and Dean of the Faculty of Arts and Sciences from 1941 to 1953.

Buck is currently teaching History 165, the History of the South. He is also chairman of the Center for the Comparative Study of the History of American Liberty.

University Professorships were established in June, 1935, for "men of distinction not definitely attached to any particular Department." These chairs are reserved for men working on the "frontiers of knowledge" in such a way as to cross conventional departmental boundaries.

Pusey Pralses Buck

In his announcement, Pusey lauded the library director. "It is deeply satisfying to have a University Professorship associated with the great library which is the center of our University," he said.

"The new chair is in scope university-wide and on the frontiers of knowledge just as the library serves all parts of our community and touches the world of learning and of mind," he added.

There are only five other active University Professors. In his new capacity, Buck will join Werner W. Jaeger, Summer H. Schlichter, Ivor A. Richards, Paul J. Tillich, and Hamilton A. R. Gibbs.