Topping Chopping

One of the chief virtues about the House dining halls has been the abundance of catsup to cover bare mutton or veal. The Central Kitchen creation seldom are inspiring and meat in its naked glory can be very discouraging. But catsup is now regrettably rationed and cranberry sauce is as rare these days as caviar. The rather gelatinous stuffing which dresses up pork as well as fowl provides no real substitute for the jelly on chicken or turkey.

Except for dishes like hamburgers or french fries, most meals are bleakly bare. Catsup can be obtained if requested, ceremoniously parcelled out in paper thimbles. But the reassuring jars of the tomato spice, which held enough to hide the most unattractive mystery meat, are gone.

In general, the foods which trundle through the underground passages from the Central Kitchen are improved over last year. Notable is the veal cutlet which no longer consists of foam rubber between veneers of conglomerated bread crumbs.

But the Student Council report on dining halls forecast an era of milk and honey and ice cream sauce. Since Harvard's staple is ice cream, caramel, butterscotch, chocolate and other goos would be a welcome addition. They have appeared too rarely, so far. Board rates have risen about ten per cent this this year; hopefully some of the increment will go towards a full dinner pail. A good condiment can enhance the best food and disguise the worst.