Attitude of South May Alter Plans For Band's Trip

The Harvard Band has been advised against planning any appearances in Little Rock, Ark., apparently because of anti-Northern sentiment there.

In a letter to the Band, A. Howard Stebbins Jr. '32, Chairman of the Harvard Clubs of Arkansas, said that "our situation here is such that we feel it would be impolitic to plan for a visit." The letter was in reply to a suggestion by the Band that a concert in Little Rock be included in a projected Southern tour.

Stebbins said that "presently there is no middle ground between our two camps and the lighter we tread, the better." He expressed hope that the Band might be able to appear there "in better days."

The Band has travelled in the West on past tours, and officials felt that a Southern tour should be arranged this year, particularly in the light of a successful visit to Washington, D.C., two years ago.

Several other replies to letters requesting sponsorship in various Southern cities have been received, but so far no concerts have been arranged. Most of the Harvard organizations which were approached have said that either support or funds for a concert are lacking.

Not enough replies have been received as yet to determine the fate of the tour.