Harvard Clubs Abandon Regional Scholarships

The Executive Council of Associated Harvard Clubs has voted to abandon its Regional Scholarship Program this year and to count on local clubs to raise scholarship money.

Edgar P. Dean '28, Executive Secretary of the A.H.C., said yesterday that the organization made the decision "because we felt that more funds will be available if alumni are asked to give scholarship money for students in their own area."

Under the Regional Scholarship Program, alumni often saw their donations go towards scholarships for students far from their own part of the country, and were sometimes hesitant to make donations.

"The majority of clubs provide scholarships already," Dean commented, "but we are trying to convince more of them to make funds available. We are also urging clubs to raise their scholarship allotments to help provide funds to meet increasing tuitions and student expenses."

The organization has sent out letters to member clubs throughout the country discussing the new policies. "It will be impossible to estimate the success of the letters until spring, when local fund raising becomes more intensive," Dean emphasized.

The Executive Secretary has also been studying the best ways to coordinate Undergraduate and Graduate School alumni clubs. President Pusey had suggested that all alumni groups work in closer contact in a speech last spring.

Dean is the first man to occupy the new Cambridge office of the Executive Secretary of the A.H.C., one of the changes stemming from Pusey's proposals. The Executive Secretary had previously maintained his office in St. Louis.

"Now the various branches of the alumni organizations are in the same building and can compare notes without making long distance telephone calls," Peter D. Shultz '52, secretary of the Alumni Association, commented. "It is a big step toward complete coordination."