G.O.P. to Revoke Charters of Clubs

The State Committee of the Massachusetts Republican Party will revoke the charter of all Republican clubs in this state on Dec. 31 of this year.

This action, the first of its type in several years, will clear the "dead weight" and "paper" clubs from the Republican roster. Only Republican clubs making positive contributions to Republicanism will have their charters renewed.

The Harvard Young Republican Club and the newly chartered Harvard Eisenhower Young Republican Club will be among the clubs losing their charters, as well as all other college, women's, and senior Republican clubs.

Members of both College Republican clubs expect that only one of the clubs will have its charter renewed, with the older HYRC in the favored position for renewal.

An additional complication arises from the Law School members of the HYRC, who have voted to apply for an independent charter of their own. Even if the Law School club is granted a charter soon, the charter will be revoked Dec. 31.

David F. Peterson '59, president of the HYRC, said his organization "will support the Law School HYRC members in their efforts to obtain an independent charter."

Senator Leverett Saltonstall '14 will speak on "National Defense and Foreign Policy" tonight at 8 p.m. in Harkness Commons. The CRIMSON erroneously reported yesterday that Saltonstall was to speak last night.