HLU Backs Student Referendum On Question of NSA Membership

HYRC Supports Council

The Harvard Liberal Union this week endorsed the principle of Harvard membership in the National Student Association, and gave hearty approval to the proposed referendum on the issue.

Charles Weiss, Jr. '59, Secretary of the HLU, suggested yesterday that the undergraduate political organizations co-operate to send representatives to the NSA, if the Student Council were not interested in sending delegates. He said that, although the NSA is "far from satisfactory in its present form," an active Harvard delegation could change this.

Peterson Backs Council

The president of the Harvard Young Republican Club, David Peterson '59 feels his club would support the Student Council's action of withdrawal from the NSA, although it has not voted on the issue.

He saw promise instead in the proposed association of the Ivy League, Little Three, and Seven-College conference colleges. If this group becomes strong, he said, the NSA may want to negotiate for merging the two associations, giving Harvard more influence in the NSA.

Peterson did not think his club would react favorably to Weiss' suggestion of having political organizations sponsor delegates to NSA conferences.

Discusses Cost

Weiss admitted that one obstacle to Harvard's active participation in the Association is the cost, which, he said, might run as high as $1,500 a year. "Probably the only financial source" to support active membership would be the College Administration, Weiss said.

In order to participate fully in the NSA, he asserted, Harvard would have to finance delegates to subcommittee meetings as well as conventions.