University States Press in Error On Dulles' Visit

A statement in a local newspaper regarding John Foster Dulles's visit to Harvard last weekend has caused considerable stir within the University.

Dulles came to Harvard last Sunday to speak to the Fellows of the International Research Center, visitors from parts of the United States and foreign countries who are at the Center to pursue advanced studies. A few professors were invited to listen to his talk, and participated in the discussion. The seminar was not public.

The professors, who were secondary to the main purpose of the discussion, became the central point in a newspaper story yesterday morning. One newspaper stated that the "hush-hush conference" was one of "an interesting series of events" "behind last Tuesday's switch in China policy by...Dulles."

Shortly after the story appeared, the University News Office called the Associated Press, United Press International, and the Boston Globe with a clarification of the story. The Office explained that Dulles's visit was possible because of his presence in Boston for an address to the North Atlantic Treaty Association. Speaking for the Administration, the News Office explained that the seminar was "an established part of the academic program at Harvard," and as such, was "off-the-record."

The Dulles seminar was one of several such gatherings that Robert R. Bowie, Director of the Center, hopes to hold during the year. Distinguished statesmen will be invited to address the Fellows of the Center informally, and news of neither their visits nor their talks will be made public.