HYDC Backs John Saltonstall; Winans Resigns Club Presidency

The Administration's Far East Policy is negative and futile," declared John L. Saltonstall, Jr. '38, last night to a HYDC audience in the Lamont Forum Room. "U.S. recognition of Red China and her admission to the U.N. are both inevitable," he said.

The HYDC voted overwhelmingly to endorse and actively support Saltonstall for Representative in the 10th Congressional District, which includes Brookline, Newton, and the Back Bay section of Boston. In his uphill campaign, Saltonstall is emphasizing personal contact with the voters. The HYDC will help in an intensive bell-ringing program.

Favoring a strong civil rights act, the candidate says that "the White House has failed to provide the strong moral leadership necessary in our integration crisis." Asked about the North-South split in his party, Saltonstall remarked that "if the Southerners won't play along, let them leave the Democratic party."

Saltonstall's opponent, Lawrence Curtis, is now serving his third term in office. The 10th District, created in 1941, has never elected a Democrat.

Derek T. Winans '60, President of the HYDC, announced his resignation last night, citing "compelling personal reasons." The club will elect a new chief executive at its February meeting. Meanwhile, Fred M. Leventhal '60, vice-President, will hold the post.

Gary M. Little '61 was elected Activities Chairman. The club chose four Members-at-Large for its Executive Committee: David Z. Farbman '60, John J. King '61, Jerome K. McDonough '61 and Minot W. Tripp '61.