University May Build Parking Lot With City

Plan Suggests 50-50 Split of Expenses

University officials offered yesterday to help Cambridge provide public parking facilities in the Harvard Square area.

President Pusey emphasized, in a letter to City Manager John J. Curry '19, that the University is "eager to explore any and all ideas which seem to have a constructive end." Pusey also noted the difficulties involved in promoting the success of a parking area.

The plan offered by the University suggests a 50-50 split of the cost involved in constructing the parking space. More detailed arrangements are to be worked out between the University and the City.

"What the University has in mind is a parking facility open to all," Pusey's letter stated. "Since this kind of public venture is not within the normal activities of the University, it is hoped that the facility would be closely identified with the city in its operation and management."

Asked whether student facilities were included in plans for the parking area, Arthur D. Trottenberg '48, Manager of Operating Services commented yesterday that "it is far too early to tell, but undergraduates certainly haven't been ruled out."

Several sites are presently under consideration and more concrete proposals will soon be made suggesting either a share of the capital investment or rental of a definite number of parking spaces as a means of financing the project.

The most recent full scale study of the parking problem, made by the University in 1956, revealed that only 54 per cent of student demands were satisfied at that time.

The Parking Development Company, which made the original survey, offered several suggestions to alleviate the situation, some of which have been carried out since then.

In another move to alleviate the Boston area parking problem, Governor Furcolo recently signed a bill providing for construction, maintenance, repair, and operation of a garage under the Boston Common and creating the Massachusetts Parking Authority.

Last spring the Cambridge City Council passed a motion submitted by Councilman Al Vellucci asking the City Manager to consider building a garage under the Cambridge Common.

Vellucci's motion has led to speculation that the Common will be carefully considered as a possible site for the parking area.