Crimson Soccer Team Bows to Princeton, 2-0

For the first time this year, the varsity soccer team had a bad day at the wrong time. A fired-up Princeton team, playing its best game of the year on its home field, capitalized on some weak defensive play by the Crimson, and won 2 to 0.

The loss gives the varsity a 2-1-1 record in the Ivy League and drops it into second place. The best the Crimson can now do in League competition is defeat its two remaining opponents, Brown and Yale, and then hope for a first place tie.

Several key injuries contributed to the varsity's downfall as they considerably weakened the visitors' defense. Captain Floyd Moloy, still hampered by his injured ankle, could play no more than a few minutes at fullback and this put an increased load on the halfbacks and on Lanny Keyes, the Crimson's big left fullback. In addition, Bill Driver and Bill Rapp, two varsity halfbacks, both suffered leg injuries and could play only half the game.

As for the varsity linemen, they did not get many chances to exhibit their skills as they hardly ever got the ball. The Crimson halfbacks had a great deal of trouble in clearing the ball up to their forwards and keeping it away from Princeton's three fine fullbacks.

The varsity played its best soccer of the game in the first period when it continually pressed the Princeton backs and had several chances at goals. But once this opportunity was missed, the Tigers began to take over. Throughout the next quarter, play slowly switched in favor of the home team. Bagnoli made one beautiful save near the end of the period to keep the game scoreless, when a Princeton forward broke free and shot for the goal from a distance of no more than 15 feet. Bagnoli dove for the ball and just knocked it out of the nets.

But in the third period, Princeton took effective control of the play and scored twice to win the game. Erling Pytte, the Tigers' inside right, took a perfect cross from Hicks, and scored on a low, hard shot by Bagnoli. Three minutes later, the Tigers scored again on a kick in from the sidelines.

For the rest of the game, Princeton just pounded the varsity goal and came very close to scoring on several occasions. As for the Crimson offense, the Princeton goalie only had to touch the ball twice in the final period.