Jailhouse Rock

Alan Freed goes on trial pretty soon, charged with inciting a riot at a Boston rock 'n roll show last spring, and when he walks into that court-room all America will be on trial with him.

Some Judge last week refused to quash one indictment against Mr. Freed--inciting, that is--and that same Judge backed away from ruling on a second charge that Mr. Freed, who brings today's hits, yesterday's happiness and tomorrow's hopes to millions on his world-famous radio show, violated a Massachusetts anti-anarchy law. A few women and children, about 20 in all, were stabbed and beaten following a performance by some of the greatest stars of '58, but these women and children were of course the sacrifice the few must pay in order to ensure the welfare of the many, us. If some Judge thinks that so small a sacrifice constitutes anarchy, he should go to Russia and see what it is like there.

For the visit of rock 'n roll artists under the wing of Mr. Freed was one of the greatest nights of all spring, even if the law doesn't think so. Mr. Freed defends clean thoughts and forthright action, is a champion of keen teens throughout the land, and knows what is good for today's youth and what is not. Just where do you think those kids would have been if they hadn't been rocking at Mr. Freed's show? Out hanging on street corners thinking unclean thoughts, etc., that's where.

It is true that our parents brought us up and we must not let them down, and in the minds of some, a Judge may seem just as hard-nose as our parents. But at the same time, it is just a certain that our parents and this Judge, whoever he is, must not let America's teenagers down in the future.

Mr. Freed has been treated as though he were a criminal or something by the alleged law of the land, and notice we say alleged. It's time for American teen opinion to make itself heard in the resounding crescendo tones that are our birth-right. You can be sure that all over the nation and up in Canada, and in fact Europe, teens will be in spirit walking into that court room with Alan Freed, ready to face the music as it were and holding our heads high too. Of course loyal local teens will show up for his in-person appearance to cheer him on. Watch these columns for a further announcement regarding this matter of importance to each and every guy and girl.