Sopbomores Give Depth, Enthusiasm to Varsity

By John R. Adler

Lawrence H. Repsher '61 stood down in a darkened corner of the practice field next to a hulking Stadium wall. Fifty-five yards away Bruce B. McIntyre '61 was methodically booming the ball up into the blackness. Every third or fourht kick would sail over Repsher's head. One went eight yards.

Toward the middle of the field two squads were scrimmaging. Stephen B. Cohen '61, a husky fullback, drove through a maze of tacklers for nearly fifteen yards. A few minutes later he repeated the effort. Further up the field the "A" squad was sharpening its offense. A speedy little performer barked signals and deftly pitched out to a halfback. The quarterback's name was Charles D. Ravenel '61.

"There's no question about it. The sophomores have made a real contribution to the team," Coach John M. Yovicsin reported. "There is nothing like success to life a team and make it feel confident of itself, and the sophomores certainly had success last year (the '61 freshman team lost only to Princeton, by a 13-6 score). They moved up with a confident air, and this has helped the varsity squad."

Tackles Rested

One tangible effect of the sophomores' fine performance has been the outstanding play of the two senior tackles. "Shag (Captain Bob Shaunessy) and Peter (Briggs) know themselves as they did last they don't have to pace year, because Bob Pillsbury and Eric Nelson can fill in very capably," Yovicsin continued. Pillsbury and Nelson are both sophomores. The guards are rested more often also, for the coach has full confidence in 'Terry Lenzner and Chuck Papalia. Both are sophomores.

In fact, the Class of '61 holds down ten positions on the first two units, the coach stated. "It's not just a few good sophs, but the number out for the team." Twenty-nine of the fifty-five man squad have two years of eligibility after this season.

The one man on the squad who has received the most publicity is, of course, Charlie Ravenel. One of his teammates, a junior quarterback, admitted that while Charlie is not yet an accomplished passer, he merits most of the praise he receives. "He takes it all very modestly," the back said. "He handles himself very well and hasn't yet stepped on anyone's toes."

He Falls Forward, Too

The thing about Ravenel that impressed Yovicsin most was his determination to learn. "This determination has led him to drive himself in his work, both on and off the field. He puts it to good use. He has a good background, he's a thinker and he makes the team feel, 'we can move.' He has poise, confidence in himself, and he radiates this confidence to his players." And he always manages to fall forward, the junior quarterback noted.

Yovicsin explained that McIntyre was practicing his cadence so he could get his punts off faster. "Bruce McIntyre is one of the best punters I've had on any squad I've ever coached. He has a great deal of potential in other areas, too. He's good on defense, he has good speed, and he's a strong runner."

Two players that might have developed faster but for bothersome leg injuries are Repsher and Bert Messenbaugh. The latter was hurt in the Cornell game and was unable to play hard for the following four Saturdays. Repsher appeared to have won the starting halfback position in the Cornell and Lehigh contest but was sidelined with an ankle injury, giving Tom Lawson his chance to capture the right halfback spot. "It was more serious than it appeared at first, because Larry relies so much on his speed," Yovicsin said.

McIntyre booted one off the side of his foot. It spiralled high and out of bounds. Repsher tore across the sidelines, ran across a gravel road, and climbed the first step of the Stadium to barely get a hand on the ball. "Don't chase 'em across the road," a coach yelled. "Leave 'em go if they're out of bounds."